Monday, September 29, 2014

A typical day at work



A Typical Day at Work...



I have been working at the Information Center for about seven weeks now and I can definitely say I have gotten a hang of things. My day (depending on my schedule) will always start 5 or 10 minutes earlier than what my schedule intends. I usually like to get to work early than usual so that I could know and catch up on any of the latest news that I may be unaware of. Coming in early, gives me the chance to plan my day according to the assignments that have been given to me by my supervisor.  I make sure I always 'clock-in' and have my information center vest and name tag on, ready to start the day.



The first thing I do when i get to my desk is turn on my computer and open up the reservation system program so that it may be of use to me when a customer calls wanting to know if a room is available for a specific time. Now, there are usually two people at the desk on  regular week days. Working as a team in unity to get our tasks done is essential. Regardless of how I may feel that specific day, when I walk in the work zone, all my feelings cease to exist. At that point, it is strictly business.. That is just how it is! 
At the Information Center it is all about multitasking. If I am not taking calls, I am filing confirmed reservation in the Date Notebook. Whenever I get phone calls, I make sure to keep a pen and paper write next to me so that I can note down the information of the customer. The general way I will answer my phone is by identifying myself and the company I work for as soon as I answer.  
" Shepherd University, Information Center, Yani speaking, how may I help you?" 
It is important to be active when listening and try not to make the customer repeat himself more than 3 or 4 times. One thing I have learned about talking on the phone with customers is that you must do your best to stay as professional as you can. It is important that you keep the customer from raging. 
When a customer calls, and wants to book a reservation, I must make sure to check the system for availability dates as well as reservations in the bin that have not been processed yet, before giving them the room. When you check everything first, it keeps you from double booking rooms rather than having to call the customers and tell them your mistakes.
Throughout the day, the activities that go on in the student center are usually numerous so it is my job to make sure I know what is going on, where it is going on at, and who to contact about a specific issue. The Information Center provides Lost and Found services as well as Ping Pong services. When something gets lost in the student center, the students or faculty members will bring it to me and I will make sure to store the lost item in our drawer after having recording it in the system. Most of the time people will come and get there stuff back, other times, they will not. When work seems to be slow, I will go deliver on-campus confirmation mail to customers within the student center and place off-campus mail in the student affairs. On a busy day at work, about 100 students who are in need of assistance throughout the day will come to me requiring help from me.

This is a regular day for Yani Meda at the Information Center. It may be hectic mentally and physically at times  but I have come to find out that the hectic things throughout the day build character in my professional life.

No comments:

Post a Comment